Saturday, February 5, 2011

Books, Books, Books


My daughter is an avid reader. She reads everyday and reads when she should be completing her other assignments. Although she is open to new material, she still reads her favorites over and over again. I also like to read and I have what seems like a ton of books in my 'to read' pile. However, unlike her, reading takes the back seat and not the driver's seat in my life. I've actually been able to finish some of these over the fall and winter season.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
I heard good things about this book. But thought I'd see the movie first and, frankly, was not too impressed with the movie. The movie was kind of confusing to me. When I read the book, it was like an 'aha' moment. I understood what was going on and the layers of it all. Movies never seem to do a book justice. I read the books 'P.S. I Love You' and 'My Sister's Keeper' before I saw the movies and the movies were such a disappointment. I saw the movie 'Lovely Bones' and have yet to read the book but so far I actually liked the movie. I'll need to read the book to see if the movie was up to par with the book. I am refusing to see 'Eat, Pray, Love' as I've read the book and don't want to set myself up for a disappointing 2 hours.

Digging to America by Anne Tyler
A pick-up from Costco. I thought it was a nice read. It's about two families who adopted children from Korea and how their lives intersect and how culturally different they are. It's interesting to think about people's differences and whether they stem from culture or personality or experience levels.

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline
A pick-up from the school book fair. It was a really good book. I'd say it played out like a detective story. Is her adopted son the 'missing child' on the back of the milk carton? I didn't want to put it down. No wonder I like shows like 'Cold Case' and 'Without A Trace.' It's a shame that those shows were cancelled.

American Fuji by Sara Backer
Another pick-up from Costco. It's about an American woman (former university professor) living in Japan who helps an American father navigate through the Japanese culture as he tries to find the details of the death of his son who was an exchange student. Interesting perspective of the Japanese culture and the importance of what is not said and the rules of politeness.

Empress by Sa Shan
Story of Empress Wu. Interesting in it's own way. At least the whole structure of classes and the politics in the palace. I felt it dragged here and there and ended up skimming some portions. But I got through it.

Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
It's pretty much about a husband's lie and it's coverup and how it totally affected his life, his marriage and the lives of others. Don't want to say much in case you read it and it was a very good book. One of those ones I didn't want to put down.



1 comment:

Sheila Iskin said...

Wonderful recommendations, Dorothy! I'll pick up a few for my reading pile.

Sheila :)